Early-stage Company Leader and Mentor
Twenty years experience as senior manager and consultant in operations, product
management, marketing, and sales for top software, wireless, and Internet companies.
Managed sales, marketing, support, and development with up to 15 staff members at
several startups and early-stage high-tech companies; developed loyal teams by hiring
carefully and treating employees with respect and dignity.
Delivered award-winning productivity software products on-budget and on-schedule at
Ashton-Tate, MicroPro, Sorcim, and other high tech companies; mentored inexperienced
product visionaries; encouraged highly-focused sales and marketing efforts.
FINANCIAL VISIONS, INC., Lafayette, CA 2006 - present
General Manager for provider of websites and marketing services for financial professionals.
- Managed turn-around of 12-person company; served as CEO with full hiring, firing, and financial responsibility; doubled customer subscription rate.
- Rebuilt marketing, sales, and back office functions; built development group; added and managed Asterisk-based phone system; converted from SugarCRM to vTiger CRM;initiated and gave Webinars for sales and support.
ON BALANCE, INC., Walnut Creek , CA 2001 - 2006
Chief Technician for retail computer store.
- Wrote Access-based work order system; installed and maintained wired and wireless networks.
- Built, upgraded, and repaired computers; healed sick Windows installations; recovered data.
KIVERA, INC., Oakland, CA (now part of TeleCommunication Systems) 1999 - 2001
Vice President of Sales and Marketing for MapQuest competitor in location-based services.
- Led team in procuring $19.8 million second round; business development efforts resulted in buy-out offers from InfoSpace and Yahoo.
- Managed 3 directors; hired and trained staff for Sales and Business Development, Product Management, Strategic Relations, Marketing, and Customer Support.
- Led drive into wireless, telematics, and web markets; closed $100k-$500k deals with AT&T, Sprint, AAA, DENSO, Auto Club of SoCal, and Sun Microsystems.
CLARINET COMMUNICATIONS CORP., San Jose, CA 1995 - 1999
VP of Marketing and Business Development for the Internet's first commercial content provider.
- Negotiated position for ClariNet on Netscape's home page; negotiated contracts with Christian Science Monitor, AFP, AP, and UPI; doubled sales to $4 million.
- Served as key member of IPO and M&A teams; created business plans and pitched VCs; led integration efforts after ClariNet was acquired by Individual, Inc.
JANDEL SCIENTIFIC, San Rafael, CA (now part of Systat, Inc.) 1993 - 1995
Director of Marketing and IS for developer of SigmaPlot and other software for scientists.
- Led staff of 9 in $8 million software company; managed $2 million marketing budget for advertising, and PR; created direct mail prospecting that was profitable.
- Overhauled logo system; created highly profitable bundle of 3 top products, which led to integration of entire product line; won featured spot in Microsoft Windows promotion.
THE FEIGENSON CONSULTING GROUP, Oakland, CA 1987 - 1993
- For Frecom Communications, implemented sales and marketing plan that doubled sales in three months; ran investment road show that raised capital and supported stock price.
- For Novell, wrote "The Connected Network" roadmap for Novell to control corporate connectivity to the Internet; earlier work included launch plan for DR DOS 6 and 7.
- For ImageWare Software, launched award-winning image editing and photo retouching software; packaging and logo both also won awards.
- For Scitor, guided Project Scheduler 4 to the No. 1-rated project management program.
ASHTON-TATE, San Jose, CA 1988 - 1991
Director, dBASE and Special Projects for the 4th largest software company at the time.
- Led team of dBASE V product managers.
- Upgraded MultiMate word processing program; launched PowerStep NeXT spreadsheet.
- Acquired and launched Control Room, which won a PC MAG Best of 1990 award.
MICROPRO INTERNATIONAL, San Rafael, CA
Vice President, Product Management for WordStar, then the No. 1 word processor.
- Helped turn NewWord into WordStar 4; sales of upgrades set industry records.
- Served as chief strategist and company spokesman in written media and TV; helped increase sales 33% in less than one year, which led to quadrupled stock price.
NEWSTAR SOFTWARE, INC., Pleasant Hill, CA
Vice President, Marketing & Sales and Treasurer for WordStar clone software.
- Grew sales 250% in one year using guerilla marketing techniques; negotiated company sale to MicroPro, and let integration efforts after the acquisition.
SORCIM (Acquired by Computer Associates, Int'l.), San Jose, CA.
Director, Non-Retail Sales for the 2nd spreadsheet, bundled with Osborn computers.
- Managed staff of 14 in independent business unit; had profit responsibility for sales to OEMs, international distributors, the government sector, and sales to universities.
Marketing Manager, Productivity Software
- Managed on-schedule releases of SuperCalc and SuperProject; primary trade press liaison; SuperCalc was runner-up for PC Mag Product of the Year in 1986.
- Helped design and prototype windowing software suite that predated Windows.
COMSHARE, New York City
Product Manager, Micro Decision Support Systems
- Managed Coopers & Lybrand's AICPA software library; developed plan to migratecompany from timesharing to microcomputer software sales.
COOPERS & LYBRAND, New York City
Marketing Manager for National EDP Development Group
- Wrote documentation and helped manage development of financial planning product.
- Launched the product and trained CPAs in the US, Canada, and France.
MBA New York University, Graduate School of Business
Major: Computer Applications and Information Systems
BS New York University, School of Commerce
Major: Marketing. Minor: Psychology